Thursday, May 27, 2010

Memorial Day...Psalm 23

Memorial Day is a day when families and friends get together and have picnics...families go to the graves of loved ones and remember and plant flowers. All of these things are good and proper....but let's not forget the purpose of the day. We honor those who died in the service of our country....We honor soldiers and their families.


I'll never forget when my husband and I attended a chapel service while attending my eldest son's basic training ceremonies. All of a sudden tissues where passed in every aisle...I remember thinking, "What's happening?" The young men and women had over the weeks of training watched a video every Sunday about a soldier coming home from war and his mother (wife )running to meet him. I watched as tears freely fell down young faces who were just beginning to realize the sacrifices that may be asked of them...and watched as they exhibited a respect for what service to our country really means.

No comments:

Post a Comment